|Picture Scramble # 49
||8 November 2000
The Assateague lighthouse was built in 1867 to help prevent
shipwrecks that were occuring at an alarming rate fueled by
a growing coastal commerce.
Use the arrow keys to shift the image left, right, up or down.
Display Finished Picture Scramble
The Assateague lighthouse, operated by the U.S. Coast Guard,
replaced an earlier tower that was built in 1833. The construction was
completed in 1867. The lighthouse is a 142 foot brick tower with two 1000 watt
lamps that provide a double flash every five seconds. It is
located within the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge east of the
town of Chincoteague.
(Picture © Copyright 2000 by Calvin J. Hamilton)
CRpuzzles.com. Copyright © 2000-2007 by Calvin J. Hamilton
& Randall L. Whipkey. All rights reserved.