On Halloween We're Going As ...
by Randall L. Whipkey
Last Saturday, the first five couples to visit Jack O'Lantern's Halloween Shop rented
costumes to wear for the night of October 31. Each husband and wife picked a different
costume based on a real or fictional person. Given the clues below, will you get tricked
or get a treat by finding the first and last names of each couple (one husband is Mark and
one wife Erica), the costume each rented for Halloween, and the order 1st-5th in which the
couples paid for their selections?
- All five women and four of the men picked costumes of "appropriate" gender; one of the
husbands, however, thought it would be funny to dress as a female character on
- Nick had wanted to go as Elvis Presley or Uncle Sam but found both costumes had
been rented to husbands who were in Jack O'Lantern's earlier than he was Saturday.
- Angela and her husband, who didn't pick the Babe Ruth outfit, picked costumes at
the store before the woman who chose Madonna and her spouse did.
- Mrs. Poe, who isn't the person who rented the Littlest Mermaid costume or the one who
chose the Wicked Witch outfit, and her husband picked their costumes immediately ahead
of Lou and his wife.
- In consecutive order first-to-last, Cynthia and her husband, the woman who is going as
Catwoman and her husband, and the man dressing as Capt. Hook and his wife rented
costumes at Jack O'Lantern's.
- Nick, who isn't Belinda's husband, and Mr. Hitchcock both decided they were too tall
for the Yoda costume, which no one rented on Saturday.
- Ken and Mr. Chaney and their wives were picking costumes to wear to the Ocean City
Marina Floating Halloween Party on October 31.
- The Kings paid for their rentals, then the couple who had the Old Mother Hubbard and
another costume paid for theirs.
- The man going as Elvis Presley on Halloween, who isn't Cynthia's husband, isn't the
one whose wife is going as Barbie.
- The Hitchcocks were the last of the five couples to choose their costumes.
- Jim and his wife got their outfits earlier than Mr. & Mrs. Chaney.
- The wife of the man going as Uncle Sam didn't pick the Old Mother Hubbard costume
because she thought it would be too heavy to wear all evening.
- Belinda and her husband paid for their costumes immediately after the man going as
Babe Ruth and his wife paid for theirs and immediately before the woman going as
Barbie and her husband rented theirs.
- Cynthia isn't the woman masquerading as Madonna on Halloween.
- Nick, whose wife isn't going as Barbie, and Deborah's spouse went to a party last
Halloween disguised as George Bush and Al Gore, costumes none of the men selected
- Belinda, who didn't choose the Catwoman outfit, isn't the woman whose husband is going
as Elvis Presley.
- The Littlest Mermaid costume isn't the one Mrs. Lugosi rented.
Logic Problem Solution
CRpuzzles.com. Copyright © 2000-2007 by Calvin J. Hamilton
& Randall L. Whipkey. All rights reserved.